Hey friends! Looking for a fancy meal that doesn’t make a lot of dishes? Look no further than this delicious Vegan Paella. This meal is super easy to make and comes together in just 1 pan! You can make it for a stay at home date night, or bring it to a get together with friends.
The inspiration for this dish came from a trip Willie and I took to San Diego. At one of the restaurants they had a vegan sample platter and one of the dishes on there was vegan paella. I just knew I had to create an even better version for this blog! The one at the restaurant only had veggies but I decided to add some Field Roast sausages. I love the flavor that the maple sausages add to this recipe, but if you can’t find those any vegan sausage will work just fine.
The vibrant yellow rice makes paella look super fancy, and we have saffron to thank for that. A spice derived from the flower of the Crocus plant, Saffron is very tedious to harvest which is why this spice is known as the most expensive spice in the world. (But don’t fret, you can find saffron on amazon for $10, I have even found some at Cost Plus World Market for $4.99!) – you can read more about Saffron HERE if you want to know more about this spice.
Check out the video below to see how I made this simple, hearty, and delicious Vegan Paella. Enjoy friends.
Simple, Hearty, and Delicious Vegan Paella. A healthier alternative to the traditional Spanish death.
- 4 tablespoons grape seed or extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno deseeded and diced
- 4 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 5 Field Roast Maple Breakfast Sausages OR any vegan sausages, chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 hearts of palm chopped. OR use canned artichoke hearts
- 16 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups arborio rice or short grain rice
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small pinch saffron threads
- lemon wedges
- chopped cilantro or parsley
- chopped scallions
Add all the paella spices and the saffron threads to a mortar and pestle and grind until very fine. set to the side.
Add 3 TB of oil to a deep pan along with the vegan sausages, cook to 3-5 minutes until browned. Remove from the pan and add the jalapeños and bell peppers, cook for another 5 minutes until the peppers are slightly soft and vibrantly red. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and along with the diced onions and mushrooms. Cook over medium low heat for 12-15 minutes until deeply browned. Add the garlic and cook for another minute before adding the crushed tomatoes, spices, lemon zest, and juice. Cook for another 10 minutes until the tomato mixture is thick and sticky.
Stir in the veggie broth, rice, sausages, peppers, hearts of palm, and chickpeas. Mix well again, cover, and cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender and all of the broth is gone.
Add over the frozen peas, cover again, and let the Paella rest off the burner for 8-10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and garnishing with lemon and the chopped herbs.
- If you don't want to use hearts of palm you can use canned artichokes or omit them completely.
- This meal keeps in the freezer well. You can always freeze any extras from this recipe.