Hey guys! Ya’ll know we LOVE Mexican food on this blog so if you are looking for a easy and delicious vegan meat substitute look no further than jackfruit. Jackfruit is one of the most versatile fruits in the world. When ripe jackfruit is sweet and tastes almost like candy; but when it’s unripe jackfruit can be used to mimic different types of vegan “meats” like this Jackfruit con Salsa Verde. My vegan interpretation of carnitas con salsa verde can be used as a filling in tamales, tacos, burritos, or on Vegan Tostadas like we did.
This recipe is really takes me back to my childhood when I would have carnitas con salsa verde at my babysitter Vicky’s house, with red Mexican rice, frijoles, and a charred corn tortilla on the side. Heavenly. But now that I don’t eat meat anymore it’s fun to be able to go back and recreate these recipes in a healthier/cruelty-free way.
Check out the video below to see how we made these tasty vegan tostadas.
Jackfruit Con Salsa Verde
A vegan substitute for carnitas con salsa verde. Healthy, flavorful, and super easy to make.
- 8 large tomatillos peeled and washed
- 1 small yellow onion sliced in half
- 1-2 jalapeños depending on how spicy you like your food
- 3 tablespoons oil divided
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 2 cans young jackfruit in brine drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1-1/2 - 2 tablespoons vegan beef bouillon I used better than beef bouillion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon safari BBQ spice blend from MelissasProduce (optional)
- more salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pack tostada shells
- 2 cans refried beans I used Amy's organic
- finely shredded cabbage
- pico de gallo
- guacamole or sliced avocado
- shredded vegan cheese I used FollowYourHeart smoked gouda
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Peel the tomatillos and wipe the stickiness off with a damp paper towel or cloth. Add the tomatillos to a sheet pan along with the sliced onion and jalapeños. Drizzle with 1 TBSP of oil and rub onto the veggies well. Roast for 10 minutes until browned.
Add the roasted veggies to a blender and blend for 20-30 seconds until smooth, set aside.
In a deep skillet or pot add the remaining tablespoon of oil, add the diced onions and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add in the jackfruit and saute for 5 more minutes. Add in the vegan bouillon and coat the jackfruit thoroughly. Add in the garlic, 2 teaspoons of salt, cumin, freshly cracked pepper, and safari spice blend, coat the jackfruit in the seasonings thoroughly and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Pour over the salsa verde, mix well and cover with a lid and braise for 25 minutes stirring occasionally. After 25 minutes shred the jackfruit with two forks, cover and cook for another 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning adjustments and serve immediately.
Building The Tostadas:
On a tostada shell layer refried beans, jackfruit, shredded cabbage, guacamole, pico de gallo, and shredded vegan cheese.
- You can find safari BBQ spice on MelissasProduce.com
- You can find canned jackfruit in Trader Joes or on Amazon, I usually find mine in a local asian market.